We are proud to be celebrating the 50th Anniversary of ‘Maycroft Dental Care Centre’, as a dental surgery located on the present premises. Many of our patients have been attending the practice for a long time with happy memories of the dentists they used to see and some can even recount tales of visiting it during its short life at its previous location. Therefore, we thought there may be some patients who would be interested in the history of Maycroft.
Peter Readings was the original founder of The Maycroft Dental Surgery in 1954. He was born and brought up in Woking and apart from a brief time in Haslemere and North Cheam, he worked in Woking all his life. In 1952 Peter found rooms to let over Central Stores in Chertsey Road, close to Woking Station, soon after the previous dental practice closed down. After two years he decided against developing the practice there and purchased Maycroft.
Maycroft was divided into two flats by Walter Deakin, a well known builder. When Peter Readings first purchased the house in August 1954 he left it divided. His wife’s mother took possession of the flat upstairs and downstairs was converted into a dental practice which opened to the public on a Monday in the middle of October 1954. In 1966 Peter’s mother-in-law died and the flat was rented for a few years.
A dental practice on the corner of The Grove, where the chiropractor is now, closed and the staff and patients moved to Maycroft. Peter asked David Pullen, who was working in Camberley, to join him and look after these patients. They ran the Practice successfully for many years with various other dentists joining them as the practice grew. In approximately 1976 it was decided to reconvert the practice back into one building to use the space upstairs.
Soon after Peter Readings retired, Richard Browne, who had been working in Torquay for 3 years, moved into the area and joined the practice in July 1984. Richard and David ran it together for 15 years until David retired at the end of January 1999. Jennifer Browne moved from her previous practice in Woking to join the Maycroft team.
Since then, the practice has moved from strength to strength as the numbers of dentists and hygienists has grown and we acquired a logo and an identity. The surgeries, the waiting room and all the other areas have been refurbished and the outside of the building has had a face lift too. In 2001 we were the first dental practice in Surrey to gain the prestigious ‘Investors In People’ award. We have since been awarded the ‘BDA Good Practice Award’ too. We are proud to announce that we have just heard that we have been reaccredited with the ‘Investors In People’ award again.
The next project to involve Maycroft and all who work here, is to computerise the practice early next year. This will be a major undertaking with hopefully only a few teething problems!!